At Red Deer Public Library, our tagline "open for discovery" really says it all. With a library membership, you have access to a world of books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, DVDs, ebooks, databases, public computers, and more that is yours to discover.
SIGN UP FOR A LIBRARY CARD TODAY to begin accessing our digital resources from home!
RDPL membership cards may be used at all branches and online to access our digital resources. Please note: if you live outside of Red Deer, you won't be able to access many of our digital resources, including eBooks and eAudiobooks. Please contact Parkland Regional Library at LibraryServices@prl.ab.ca to find out what your regional library has to offer!
To apply for a borrower’s card or renew an existing card:
- Fill out the online registration form. Memberships are completed during regular library hours, and you will receive an email with your library card number, PIN, and everything else you need to know to get started. When you visit the library in person, we'll upgrade you to a full membership.
- Stop by any of our three branches and present one piece of picture ID, or two other pieces; one piece must show member’s current address (i.e. driver’s license, tax receipt, or utility bill).
You may also need to pay the annual membership fee (for non-residents only) and any outstanding debts.
Library Membership Fees
|Red Deer City Resident||Free|
|Under 18* (restrictions apply)||Free|
* Memberships for those under 18 or dependent adults require a parent/guardian signature.
Registration forms for under 18 members or dependent can be obtained at Member Services or downloaded below:
Loan Information and Internet Use
- Borrowing limit - 50 items per card.
- A Library card is required to borrow items or use public internet stations.
- Newspapers, reference books, and current issues of magazines are restricted to in-library use only.
- Books, magazines and CDs - 21 days.
- DVDs - 14 days.
- Exceptions to borrowing limits are authorized only by staff in the department from which the materials originate.
Where to Return Materials
With the exception of toys, games, and certain specialized kits, members may return library materials to any branch or the Collicutt Centre, located on the east end of Red Deer at 3031 30th Avenue.
- Most RDPL materials can be renewed in person, by phone or online.
- Two renewals per item allowed unless another copy is available.
- If another member has requested the item, it may not be renewed.
- Renewals may not be possible if there are unpaid fines or charges on the card.
- To place a hold, ask at any service point, phone or use our online catalogue.
- The member will be contacted when a held item becomes available.
- Items will be held for 5 days. If not picked up the item will be given to the next person on the waiting list, or be re-shelved.
Overdue notices are sent when items become 14 days overdue and you may not be able to use your library card. Should the items not be returned, an invoice is sent for the cost of the item(s) plus a nonrefundable processing cost.
Fines for Overdue Items
- Young Adult and Adult materials: $0.25 per item, per day
- Children’s materials: no set fines (donations to the Jiminy Cricket Fund in lieu of fines are greatly appreciated)
- The Library does not mail notice of fines but maintains a record.
The ME Card
With a simple online registration process, RDPL card holders in good standing can access materials at other participating public libraries in Alberta through the ME Card program! See our ME Card page for more details.
The Alberta Library (TAL) Card
Red Deer Public Library is a participating member of The Alberta Library. Members can request a TAL card, along with their paid membership, which will allow them to register at any Alberta library. Items borrowed with an Alberta Library Card can be returned to any library in the province.
Please note: When you return RDPL items to a participating TAL Library, staff at that library will note the date of return of that item and include that information with the item when they send it back to RDPL. It may take a few days for the item to arrive back at RDPL, but the return date marked on the item will be honored when its received.
Protection of Privacy
Under the terms of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP), all personal information we hold will remain confidential and will not be shared unless members specify otherwise. This policy includes protecting information such as a member’s name, address, telephone number, date of birth and titles of library materials.
Information pertaining to minors will be divulged to the adult(s) who has assumed responsibility for borrowing.
Lost or Stolen Cards
Report a lost or stolen card immediately by contacting Member Services at 403-346-4576. Members are responsible for any items borrowed until it is reported missing. There is a fee for card replacement. Bring identification to replace a lost or stolen card.