Interlibrary Loan is a service through which you may obtain items that are not found in the Red Deer Public Library collection. Interlibrary loan staff will search other libraries across the province and beyond for the materials that you need, and have the items sent to Red Deer Public Library for you to pick up and use!
Please note the following restrictions on this service:
- Requests are accepted from all customers whose home library is Red Deer Public Library and whose card is in good standing.
ME Card, TAL Card and E-card users are not eligible for Interlibrary Loans.
- Materials borrowed may only be used under the terms and conditions determined by the lending library.
- It may take 2 weeks or longer to obtain the materials.
- Renewals may not be available on Interlibrary Loans.
- Overdue fines apply to Interlibrary Loans - $.25 per day/per item.
- Audiovisual items, including DVDs, CDs, videos and audio-cassettes, may not be available through this service.
How Do I Request an Interlibrary Loan?
Before you request an item through Interlibrary Loan, please check the RDPL Library catalog to see if the Library already owns the item. Please note that new items or soon-to-be-released items may not currently appear in our catalogue. Please speak to a staff member to request these items.
The process of requesting an Interlibrary Loan is as follows:
- Use the Relais D2D Alberta Public Library Resource Sharing System to request an item from another library in Alberta using the Request this Item button. If you are unable to locate the item via Relais, please speak to a staff member about the possibility of requesting the item through an Interlibrary Loan.
- To request a photocopy of a newspaper, magazine, or journal article you can either send an email to ill @ rdpl.org , call Adult at 403-346-4576, or come to the Adult Services desk on Level 4 of the Downtown Branch. Please note that there may be charges from the lending library for making photocopies, which you are responsible for covering. These will be added to your library account and are due upon receipt of the copies.
- To request microfilm, you can either send an email to email@example.com, call Adult Non-fiction and Reference Services at 403-346-2100, or come to the Adult Non-fiction and Reference Services desk on Level 4 of the Downtown Branch. A minimum charge of $5.00 / package of microfilm received will be added to your library account.