Red Deer Public Library only accepts resumes for posted positions.
Open positions will be posted below.
Red Deer Public Library is seeking an outgoing, energetic, knowledgeable customer oriented individuals to join our team! If you are dedicated to providing optimum service levels in a busy, supportive team environment, then we have a place for you!
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com citing Competition #2020-02 by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Friday February 28, 2020.
Performs circulation duties including (but not limited to):
- Materials handling (checking out, discharging and transiting items, holds, processing missing or damaged items).
- Issuing library cards and maintaining customer records.
- Handling cash and processing payments.
- Opening and closing the desk/branch.
- Switchboard service.
- Actively assists customers with requests, inquiries, intermediate reference and directional assistance.
- Supports and assists with the delivery of pre-existing library programs and community outreach.
- Assists with the orientation of new staff.
- May represent the department or library on various committees or at community events.
- Contributes to an efficient, innovative work environment by supporting all members of the team.
- Is able to perform all the general duties and responsibilities of the Library Assistant I position.
These duties are illustrations of types of work that may be performed. The omission of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- In-depth knowledge of Red Deer Public Library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of and adherence to Occupational Health and Safety requirements.
- Commitment to CFLA-FCAB position statements; especially intellectual freedom, and diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledgeable about Red Deer Public Library; including services and programs offered, the collection (physical and digital), the website and Bibliocommons.
- Awareness of current events and trends as they relate to library service.
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma (or GED) is essential.
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience, preferably in library public service or in a similar customer-oriented service environment.
- People-oriented, with a personal commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to learn, with a curious attitude and a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Excellent problem solver and communicator.
- Tech savvy on desktop and mobile platforms, and the ability to quickly acquire skills on a variety of systems.
- Self-motivated, and willing to have fun in a fast-paced, challenging, team environment.