2006 Summer Reading Club
Red Deer Public Library only accepts resumes for posted positions.
Open positions will be posted below.
Job Posting - p/t Technical Services Assistant - Cataloguing Specialist (Library Assistant 3)
Red Deer Public Library seeks a dynamic, knowledgeable, professional Technical Services Assistant to perform cataloguing duties in the department for the entire library system.
Reporting to the Deputy CEO, the Cataloguing Specialist has primary responsibility for original and copy cataloguing using standards such as MARC, AACR2, RDA, ISBD, Dewey Decimal Classification (WebDewey), Sears Subject Headings, and Library of Congress Subject Headings, Canadian Subject Heading (LAC), and for the maintenance (editing and deleting) of MARC records in the library catalogue. He/she is also responsible for uploading and downloading MARC records from Hoopla, Overdrive and other vendors/organizations. He/she consults with Downtown, Dawe and Timberlands Branch staff regarding their cataloguing and classification needs and specifications. The Cataloguing Specialist also develops and maintains the library's Cataloguing Policies and Procedures Manual, updating and revising it as required. Finally, the Cataloguing Specialist is involved with the receiving and processesing of magazines and serials, as well as tracking and claiming missing issues.
- A 2 year Library Technician Diploma from a recognized institution, with course emphasis in Technical Services. An undergraduate degree from a recognized postsecondary institution with equivalent experience in cataloguing using MARC and RDA in a library environment may be considered.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills (oral and written.)
- Proven ability to relate to and communicate with coworkers and vendors in a courteous, helpful manner.
- Familiarity with the SirsiDynix library automation system is an asset.
This is a part time, benefited position at 28 hours / week, normally scheduled between Monday and Friday. The salary for this position will start at $25.78 / hour and includes a generous benefits package. If this sounds like the perfect opportunity to you, please send your resume and cover letter (in Adobe Acrobat pdf format) by email to email@example.com and quote competition #2017-12 in your application. The deadline for applications is Thursday July 27 at 4:30 p.m.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consider joining The Friends of the Library Board this year!
The Friends' Board meets seven or eight times per year at the Downtown Library to plan activities that support Red Deer Public Library. View www.rdpl.org/about/friends for more information about the Friends of the Library.
Library pages shelve returned library materials and keep all items in order on the shelves. They also tidy the library by ensuring that all materials left by library users on tables, desks and chairs, etc. are gathered and returned to the proper areas.
- This is an ongoing job posting. Jobs are not always available; however, we accept resumes on an ongoing basis and keep resumes for six months.Thank you for your interest, but only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
- 15 years of age or older
- Ability to understand written and oral instruction in English.
- Ability to organize materials in numerical and alphabetical order.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Must love organizing.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to work independently, but also as a part of a team.
- Physical requirements include ability to push/pull heavy carts, squat and reach above your head.
- Page jobs are year-round part-time positions between 2 and 3 shifts per week.
- 3 hour shifts in Youth Services and 4 hour shifts in Adult Services.
- Monday to Thursday shifts are evenings and Friday, Saturday and Sunday shifts are afternoons.
- Set schedules that are changed in February, July and September.
- The ability to substitute for vacation and sick hours is a requirement.
- $12.53 per hour
Volunteering at Red Deer Public Library
Red Deer Public Library acknowledges the many benefits of volunteerism to our organization, to the volunteers and to the community at large. The volunteer work performed by our volunteers is integral to the operations of the organization. The skills, expertise and commitment volunteers bring are highly valued. Volunteers are important not only for the time they contribute but for their knowledge, skills, enthusiasm and fresh points of view which enhance the creativity and qualify of service provided by the organization they serve. Volunteers are needed in a wide variety of activities:
- Adult Literacy program.
- Friends of the Library.
- Homebound Readers’ Program.
- Library Board and Committees.
- Summer Reading Program.
- Reading Pals
For more information, please call 403-346-4576.